Introducing the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé is a 4-door, 5-seat compact car with premium styling and a high-quality interior.
Officially classed as a saloon, it is designed primarily for people who are looking to downsize from a 3 Series or a 5 Series, but want something sleeker, sportier and more practical than the 1 Series hatchback.
The 2 Series Gran Coupé certainly has plenty going for it, in addition to its stylish design. In-car technology is up there with the best-in-class, driving dynamics are trademark BMW and the wide range of efficient engines means you can select all out performance, maximum fuel economy or a sweet spot in between.
Design and Practicality
BMW's designers have done a fantastic job of balancing out the desire for a low-slung sporty aesthetic with excellent passenger space and comfort.
The famous kidney grille remains the focus of the purposeful front end, and details such as the frameless side doors really enhance the 2 Series Gran Coupé's overall visual appeal.
Cabin space is excellent, and the engineers have paid particular attention to rear leg and knee room, ensuring that rear occupants are seated comfortably.
Practicality is enhanced further still by the sizeable boot space that is 430 litres in size, 50 litres more than the 1 Series. The 40/20/40 split folding rear seats come in handy for loading longer items.
Technology and Safety
Technology is another area where the 2 Series Gran Coupé impresses. All variants are equipped with BMW Live Cockpit Professional, which is what BMW has branded their twin-screen instrument cluster and infotainment screen setup.
Directly behind the steering wheel, where you would usually find a set of dials, is a high-resolution digital screen that is configurable to your preferences. In the centre of the dashboard is a 10.25-inch touchscreen, which features BMW Operating System 7. From here, you can control your navigation, media, smartphone and vehicle settings using voice commands, gestures, the iDrive controller, or by touch.
Safety equipment is well accounted for, with standard driver assistance features such as:
- Park distance control
- Collision warning with pedestrian detection and city braking
- Lane departure warning with active lane return
- Cruise control with braking function
- Rear-view camera
Engines and Performance
There are several different engine options to choose from in the 2 Series Gran Coupé. Here is a quick overview to help you choose the right one for you:
- 218i petrol: the entry level 1.5-litre model is fine for most people, providing good acceleration and fuel economy
- 220i petrol: moves up to 2.0 litres in capacity for an extra boost of performance
- 218d diesel: the most economical 2 Series Gran Coupé, achieving up to 60mpg on average
- 220d diesel: provides a strong balance between performance and economy for the best of both worlds
- M235i xDrive: With 302bhp and all-wheel drive, this is the fastest model, hitting 62mph from standstill in just 4.8 seconds
The 218i and 218d can be specified with manual or automatic transmissions. The rest of the line-up is automatic only.
2 Series Gran Coupé
- 17" light alloy Double-spoke style 549 wheels, Bicolour
- Live Cockpit Professional
- Air conditioning, automatic with two-zone control
- Bluetooth hands-free facility with USB audio interface
- 8.8" Control Display with Touch Function
- BMW iDrive 6 system (ID6)
- iDrive controller with Touch Function
- Cloth Nivala / Sensatec upholstery with Orange or Grey highlight
Key features in addition to Sport:
- 18” M light alloy Double-spoke wheels
- Hexagon cloth / Alcantara upholstery, Anthracite
- Anthracite headlining
- M aerodynamic bodystyling
- M Sport suspension
Test drive the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé
With so much style, performance and practicality on offer, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé is one of those rare cars that manages to be all things to all people.
To experience the benefits of the 2 Series Gran Coupé for yourself, book a test drive at your nearest Stratstone BMW dealership.