Introducing the smart EQ forfour
The smart EQ forfour provides optimal inner-city mobility for up to four people, thanks to a clever design and excellent use of space. Its small proportions allow drivers to zip through city streets with three of their friends in style and comfort.
As an electric car it offers something different to the other small hatchbacks out there. The usable electric range means that you can commute through inner city or town traffic without producing any harmful emissions as you drive.
With charging points popping up across the country, as well as more widely available home charging options, there has never been a better time to invest in an electric car such as the smart EQ forfour.
Design and Practicality
Designed as the ideal urban mobility solution, the smart EQ forfour is cleverly packaged into tiny exterior dimensions that make it easy to manoeuvre into tight spaces, that are regularly encountered on urban journeys.
It is hard to believe a car this size can be practical, but with more than enough room for four people (hence the name) this is a car that is compact on the outside and roomy on the inside.
While the luggage compartment is not huge, the rear seats can be folded down to greatly expand the amount of available space.
Interior and Technology
The interior of the forfour is swathed in high quality materials, with perhaps the classy, comfortable seat designs being the highlight. Intelligent design and storage solutions are used throughout the cabin to maximise available space.
Standard specification on all smart EQ models includes rear parking aid, touchscreen infotainment and automatic climate control, ensuring that you are safe, comfortable and connected on the move.
Connectivity is further enhanced by the Bluetooth smartphone link that features Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink technology, plus a DAB digital radio too. The infotainment also features a Charge Spot Finder, letting you know where the nearest EV charging stations are located.
Range and Performance
The electric driving range in the EQ forfour is just under 80 miles, that is plenty when you consider the average UK daily mileage is only 21 miles. Even if you do regularly drive more than the daily average, it is super simple to re-charge your vehicle each night; just like you do with your smartphone.
On the road it feels very nippy when you are driving around towns and cities, with effortless, near-silent acceleration. Speaking of acceleration, the instant torque from the 81bhp electric motor provides plenty of oomph when you set off.
Another benefit of the EQ forfour is its incredibly tight turning circle, letting you navigate in and out of tight spots with ease.
Inevitably, the EQ forfour will eventually need re-charging, either at home or at a public charging station, to increase the available range.
You can charge the EQ forfour up at home using a Wallbox, where it will take less than 3.5 hours to reach 80 percent of battery capacity. Alternatively, you can use a rapid charger which will charge the battery from 10 to 80 percent in under 40 minutes.
The EQ Control app, which is available on Android, Apple and Apple Watch, is super handy and can help with locating a charge point, remotely checking how much range is left and scheduling charging.
EQ forfour Models
- 16" alloy wheels 5-twin-spoke painted black with high-sheen finish
- 85" rear doors
- H4 halogen headlamps with integrated LED daytime driving lights
- Panoramic roof with sunblind
- 3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel in leather
- Armrest in front
- Brushed stainless steel sports pedals with rubber studs
- Comfort package including height adjustable steering wheel and electric mirrors
- Height adjustable driver's seat
- Retainer belt on passenger seat
- Storage net on centre console
- Winter package
- Upholstery in black fabric with double-stitching in white, dashboard and door centre panels in black fabric and accent trim in black/grey
- Instrument cluster with 3.5" TFT colour display and on-board computer
- Rearview camera
- smart Connect Media System
- Two lower mid-range speakers in the front and rear doors
- ABS – anti-lock braking system with electronic brake-force distribution
- Active Brake Assist, Crosswind Assist and Hill Start Assist
- ESP® – Electronic Stability Program
Key features in addition to premium:
- 16" 8-Y-spoke alloy wheels painted black with high-sheen finish
- Front fog lamps with cornering light function
- Full-LED headlamps with main & dipped beam plus integral indicator & daytime running lights
- Rain/light sensor
- Ambient lighting with indirect illumination of the front doors, the front foot wells and the centre console
- Automatically dimming interior mirror
- Door openers on the inside in matt chrome
- Velour floor mats in black
- Dashboard and door centre panels in black fabric and accent trim in black
- Seats with upholstery in black leather with grey double stitching
Test drive the smart EQ forfour
Overall, the smart EQ forfour provides ample driving range as well as enough space and technology to make it the perfect urban vehicle; especially when you factor in the extremely low cost of ownership.
To experience all of what this excellent small electric vehicle has to offer, you really need to drive one. You can book a test drive at your nearest Stratstone smart dealership to do just that.