Introducing the MINI Convertible
Despite having some of the wettest weather in Europe, the United Kingdom buys the most convertible cars. Although it may seem odd, there is no denying the magical sense of occasion that accompanies the driver when they get the roof down on a crisp, winter's day.
Of course, there are the days during summer when a convertible gains the envy of fellow motorists, who could only dream of endless blue skies and the wind passing through their hair.
Now, what happens when you take the above recipe and apply it to one of Britain's cultural icons? You get the superb MINI Convertible. All the fun of the regular 3-door and 5-door Hatch but with a million miles of head space to enjoy.
Design and Practicality
Building on the success of its predecessors, MINI have managed to improve the Convertible's practicality and refinement without compromising on the go-kart like sensation the driver experiences during a journey.
Impressively, the electrically-powered roof can retract or close in just 18 seconds. Better yet, the roof can be dropped when driving at speeds of up to 20mph for maximum convenience. MINI Convertible is only available with three doors, but it is hardly a challenge getting into the back; adults will find there is ample leg room.
ISOFIX anchor points are easily accessed and can be found in the rear as well as the front passenger seat. The boot is not colossal, but it is more than big enough to accommodate the weekly food shop.
The latest generation Convertible has even gained an exclusive colour to its already extensive colour palette, Zesty Yellow. A perfect colour for those hot, sunny days.
Technology and Safety
There are four different specifications to choose from with each MINI Convertible model: Classic, Exclusive, Resolute, and John Cooper Works (JCW); all of which bring their own quirky features.
Owners are guaranteed to enjoy the infotainment system, which utilises a crisp 8.8-inch colour touchscreen that boasts intuitive functions. The system itself pairs effortlessly with the sports leather multifunction steering wheel. Behind the newly-designed steering wheel there is a 5-inch digital display, featuring as standard, which showcases key driving information and driver assistance systems.
There are a number of safety features and driver aids on the MINI Convertible. The optional Driver Assistance Pack, including lane departures warnings and Active Cruise Control, ensures drivers can safely arrive at their destination.
Engines and Performance
MINI Convertible is available with three different petrol engines, depending on the model you opt for.
Regardless of the specification selected, the MINI Convertible Cooper comes with a 1.5-litre 3-cylinder engine, which produces a peppy 136bhp. With the ability to return up to 47.9mpg, this is one frugal motor that suits the characteristics of the car.
For those who want more power, there is the MINI Convertible Cooper S, which utilises a 2.0-litre petrol engine and produces 178bhp. The 0 to 62mph sprint is dealt with in 6.9 seconds, yet it still manages to return up to 45.6mpg.
The JCW model uses the same engine, but gets 231bhp alongside suspension, exhaust and brake upgrades.
- Fully electric soft-top operation that opens in 18 seconds
- Rear Parking Distance Control
- Front and rear LED lights
- 8.8" colour touch screen
- Intelligent Emergency Call (MINI E-call)
- DAB Digital Tuner
- Bluetooth hands free function and USB audio
- MINI Connected & Remote Services
- Piano Black interior trim
- Velour floor mats
Key features in addition to Classic:
- Cruise control
- 18" British Spoke alloy wheels with run-flat tyres
- MINI Yours leather sport seats
- Aluminium Interior Trim
- MINI Yours leather steering wheel
- MINI Yours Union Jack design soft-top
Resolute Special Edition
- Rebel Green paint finish
- Pepper White contrast roof and mirror caps
- 18” Pulse Spoke black wheels
- Exclusive Resolute Bronze design elements
- Sleek styling in Piano Black
- Cloth/leatherette upholstery in Black Pearl
- Piano Black exterior
- Edition specific door sill finishers
- Exclusive Resolute foil finish on dashboard
- Cloth/leatherette in Black Pearl upholstery
John Cooper Works (JCW)
- Rebel Green exterior paint colour
- 17" John Cooper Works Track Spoke alloy wheels in black
- Piano Black Exterior and interior trim
- Sport Suspension
- John Cooper Works aerodynamic kit and sport exhaust
- Red brake callipers with John Cooper Works logo
- Radiator grille with Piano Black border, honeycomb structure in black and John Cooper Works logo
- Side scuttle in black with Chili Red border and John Cooper Works logo
- Tailpipe finisher in chrome
- 17" sport brakes
- John Cooper Works sport seats upholstered with Dinamica/leather in Carbon Black
- Walknappa leather steering wheel with grey seam and John Cooper Works badge on Piano Black lower steering wheel spoke
- Rubberised stainless steel pedals
- John Cooper Works door sill finishers
- MINI Driving Modes (centre toggle switch to control driving mode settings: Sport, Mid, Green)
- Cruise control with brake function
Test drive the MINI Convertible
Given the sheer desirability of this British icon and how it has been enhanced by the addition of a convertible roof, we cannot see the United Kingdom dropping its mantle as the biggest consumer of topless cars in Europe for quite some time.
No matter which engine or quirky specification you choose for your MINI Convertible you are guaranteed a fun and stylish driving experience.
Please contact your nearest Stratstone MINI retailer to arrange a test drive.