Introducing the Mercedes-Benz GLS
Introduced in the mid 2000s, the GLS SUV quickly became a successful addition to the Mercedes-Benz line up thanks to its elegant appearance that had been combined with a plush and versatile interior design.
The latest GLS builds on the popularity of its predecessors by incorporating a host of advanced safety technologies and driver aids, which have been engineered to take the stress out of driving, whilst offering superior levels of safety. Keep on reading to discover the other features that make the GLS a class leader in its segment.
Design and Practicality
There can be no denying the popularity of SUVs within the United Kingdom at the moment and it so happens that Mercedes-Benz make one of the best, in the form of the GLS.
Based on the exceptional S-Class, the GLS is a luxuriously elegant SUV that can comfortably seat seven people.
Across the range, each GLS comes with four-way electrically adjustable front seats, which means the driver will never struggle to find optimal comfort. Adults will find it easy to get comfortable in the rear of the SUV too, thanks to the exceptional levels of leg and head room.
Fitting a child's seat is straightforward because of the standard ISOFIX anchor points built into the second row of seats. Boot space is substantial, with 470 litres available with the third row of seats up. This grows to 2,400 litres with the rear seats folded flat.
Technology and Safety
Typical of the other models in the Mercedes-Benz line up, the latest GLS boasts intuitive technologies that have been designed to offer seamless connectivity and enhanced safety.
The GLS features the brand's MBUX infotainment system (Mercedes-Benz User Experience), which utilises a crystal-clear touchscreen alongside a natural voice control system. It also learns about the driver's habits and preferences throughout each journey and tailors the car accordingly.
A number of safety features are available. The Driving Assistance package acts as a second set of eyes on the road, and can follow the vehicle in front during stop-and-go traffic, while maintaining a safe distance. The Parking package creates a 360-degree camera image on the infotainment screen to make parking a stress-free process.
Engines and Performance
Mercedes-Benz GLS is available with a sole powerful 3.0-litre diesel engine, which produces 325bhp and complete the zero to 62mph time in just 6.3 seconds.
A beautifully engineered 9-speed automatic transmission accompanies the engine, which ensures the driver is in the optimal gear for maximum efficiency.
Power is transmitted to each wheel via the innovative 4MATIC all-wheel drive system, which uses a series of computers to monitor the grip at each wheel and distribute power accordingly. The end result is optimised grip in a variety of challenging road conditions. On a combined cycle, the GLS can return around 30mpg.
If ultimate performance is what you are after then you should look no further than the utterly brilliant AMG model; the GLS 63 4MATIC+. Powered by a monstrous 4.0-litre V8 petrol engine, the AMG GLS can reach 62mph for a standstill in a rapid 4.2 seconds; unbelievable for a vehicle of this size.
The range does not stop there as there is also the Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 4MATIC; representing pure indulgence and supreme luxury.
AMG Line Premium
- Parking package with 360°camera
- 22" AMG multi-spoke alloy wheels
- AIRMATIC air suspension with Adaptive Damping System
- MULTIBEAM LED Headlights with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- Panoramic sliding sunroof
- Soft-close doors and EASY-PACK tailgate
- Memory package
- Burmester® surround sound system
- Head-up display
- Heated front and rear seats
- MBUX augmented reality for navigation
- MBUX Interior Assistant
- Multifunction sports steering wheel in nappa leather
- Seven seats, electrically adjustable
- Smartphone integration including Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™
AMG Line Premium Plus
Key features in addition/replacement to AMG Line Premium:
- 22" AMG multi-spoke alloy wheels, painted black
- Driving Assistance Plus package
- ENERGIZING Plus package
- Exclusive Trim package
- Additional trim elements on the back of the front seat backrests in anthracite open-pore oak wood
- Extended ambient lighting
- Map pockets in ARTICO man-made leather
- Climatised multi-contour front seats with massage functions
- Comfort front headrests
- Heated front and rear armrest
- MBUX Rear Seat Entertainment System:
- Two permanently-integrated full-HD 11.6" touchscreens with full-HD camera
AMG Line Premium Plus Executive
Key features in addition/replacement to AMG Line Premium Plus:
- 23" AMG 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels, bi-colour design
- Climatised multi-contour rear seats with massage functions
- Dashboard and door beltlines in nappa leather
- Electric sunblinds in rear doors, left and right
- Heated nappa leather multifunction steering wheel
- Luxury centre armrest
- Luxury rear headrests
- MBUX rear tablet
- Seat heating for third row seats
- Seat on front passenger side electrically adjustable from the rear
- Sidebags in rear
- Temperature-controlled cup holder in the rear
- Wireless charging for mobile phones in the rear
Test drive the Mercedes-Benz GLS
Those looking for the ultimate blend of luxury and practicality in an SUV need to consider the Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class.
The contemporary design is complemented by the technologically advanced interior, while the available engine suits this large SUV down to the ground.
Experience the extravagant GLS for yourself by arranging a test drive at your nearest Stratstone Mercedes-Benz retailer.