Introducing the GLC Coupé
Taking the infinite practicality that comes with an SUV and combining it with the low-slung appearance of a coupé is not a straight-forward task to say the least.
However, Mercedes-Benz have managed to successfully accomplish this unique blend with the GLC Coupé. As you have probably guessed, the Coupé is derived from the regular GLC SUV. The most noticeable difference is the sloping roofline that blends seamlessly into the rear end of the vehicle.
Apart from that, the rest of the car shares a number of similarities with its regular SUV counterpart, which includes assertive bumpers, contemporary alloy wheel designs, and eye-catching features. Keep on reading to learn more about the GLC Coupé.
Design and Practicality
Despite the sloping roofline, the interior of the GLC Coupé is airy and spacious, which makes for an enjoyable place to sit during longer journeys. The driver will certainly find it easy to get comfortable because the front seats offer acres of adjustment, with plenty of headroom for even the tallest of people.
The rear of the vehicle is much of the same story, with the rear doors opening plenty wide enough to make it easy to fit a child's seat, which can be secured with the accessible Isofix anchor points.
When those trips to the countryside beckon, families will have no issue getting all their luggage into the boot of the GLC Coupé because of the large opening. Boot capacity ranges between 550 and 1,600 litres.
Interior and Technology
As with other models in the Mercedes-Benz range, the GLC Coupé has been designed to offer excellent in-car technology and seamless smartphone connectivity.
The intuitive infotainment system (up to 10.25 inches in size) offers all the everyday functions you would expect from a car of this calibre. A digital instrument cluster is also available and allows for individualisation while offering a variety different ways of controlling functions (natural speech and touch control elements are two examples).
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay come as standard across the range, while Navigation Services with Live Traffic and map updates are also included for good measure.
Standard safety features include:
- Adaptive braking system
- Attention Assist (monitors driver fatigue)
- Collision Prevention Assist
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
- Reversing Camera
Economy and Performance
Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupé is available with two diesel engines and two petrol units. Each model across the range utilises a clever 4MATIC all-wheel drive system for optimal grip in all weather conditions.
The GLC 300 4MATIC uses a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine and produces 258 bhp, while returning between 29.4 and 34.4 mpg on a combined cycle.
The other petrol option, the GLC 300e, uses the same engine and recruits the electrical assistance of mild-hybrid technology for added efficiency. Expect up to 117.7 mpg from this model.
Derived from a similar twin turbocharged 2.0-litre diesel powerplant, the GLC 220d and GLC 300d produce 194 and 245 bhp respectively, while offering excellent fuel economy.
- DYNAMIC SELECT with a choice of driving modes: Comfort, Eco, Sport, Sport+ and Individual
- Headlamps – LED High Performance headlamps with integral LED daytime running lamps
- 10.25-inch touchscreen media display
- Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC and reversing camera
- MBUX voice control activated by keywords “Hey Mercedes”
- MBUX multimedia system with DAB digital radio and touchpad
Specification highlights (in addition/replacement to 'Sport'):
- AMG bodystyling – AMG front apron with sporty air intakes and chrome trim element
- AMG diffuser-look rear apron with insert in black
- AMG brushed stainless steel sports pedals with black rubber studs
- Instrument cluster with 5.5-inch multifunction display and surround in silver chrome
- Seats – AMG sports seats in ARTICO man-made leather/ DINAMICA microfibre
- Steering wheel – 3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel in black nappa leather, with black topstitching, flattened bottom section, heavily embossed in grip area, with touch control buttons and bezel in galvanised silver chrome
AMG Line Premium
Specification highlights (in addition/replacement to 'AMG Line'):
- MULTIBEAM LED headlamps
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Augmented reality for navigation - a camera in the windscreen records the area in front of the vehicle. This recording runs in the media display. Superimposed highlighted information, such as house numbers and street names, facilitates orientation at the destination
- Mercedes-Benz sound system
- Wireless charging
- Smartphone integration comprising Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™. Certain features and apps require a 3G or 4G data connection. Control of features available through voice control and controller on centre console
- Seats – AMG sports seats in leather
AMG Line Premium Plus
Specification highlights (in addition/replacement to 'AMG Line Premium'):
- Sliding sunroof
- KEYLESS-GO Comfort package
- Memory package – driver’s seat, front passenger seat, steering column – electrically adjustable with memory. Includes exterior mirror with parking position
- Burmester surround sound system
- 20" AMG alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design
Test Drive the Mercedes-Benz GLC Coupé
Considering how difficult it is to blend Coupé styling with SUV levels of practicality, Mercedes-Benz have made it look remarkably easy. The GLC Coupé's appearance is sharp and assertive, without being overbearing.
Head inside and that pursuit of elegant style has not compromised on the all-important space and practicality. Add in the efficient range of engines to an already well-rounded package and the GLC Coupé represents another fine addition to the Mercedes-Benz range.
Please contact your nearest Stratstone Mercedes-Benz retailer to arrange a test drive.