Introducing the Mercedes-Benz CLS
Introduced in 2005, the original Mercedes-Benz CLS was nothing short of a revelation because it filled the gap in the market for customers who wanted a coupé inspired silhouette, but with the practicality that is associated with a traditional saloon.
As a result, the CLS became an unrivalled class leader in its segment. And although other manufacturers started to join the party, they never quite managed to claim the crown. Having entered its third generation, the latest CLS has undergone a full makeover that cements its position as the class leader.
Read on to discover what Mercedes-Benz have done to ensure the CLS remains ahead of its classmates.
Design and Practicality
Combining the benefits of a coupé with the desirable practicality that comes with a saloon is no easy feat, yet Mercedes-Benz have accomplished just that with the CLS.
The elegant interior design is more than just form over function, because there is plenty of leg and head room for passengers sitting in the front and rear. It is also worth noting that the optional panoramic sunroof does not impede too drastically on the cabin, which means customers can literally have their cake and eat it.
Boot space is remarkably good, with a large opening tailgate and a wide opening making the 520-litre capacity all the more accessible. The rear seats can be conveniently folded down via the pull handles.
Interior and Technology
The latest design language implemented by Mercedes-Benz can be seen in abundance throughout the interior of the CLS. On top of this, the latest driver assistance technologies are available alongside a number of advanced safety features.
The stunning infotainment system beautifully combines the traditional media system with the instrument cluster for seamless connectivity. The menus are easy to navigate, while features such as the satellite-navigation look stunning on the vibrant display. The infotainment system and cluster can be controlled effortlessly via the touch pads on the multi-function steering wheel.
Safety is well catered for. MULTIBEAM LED headlamps adjust themselves based on the traffic conditions, while features such as Active Blind Spot Assist ensure the driver has a second pair of eyes where it matters. PRE-SAFE PLUS can initiate preventative measures where a rear-end collision threatens.
Economy and Performance
Mercedes-Benz offer two diesel and two petrol engines with the CLS, all of which offer potent performance and excellent fuel efficiency.
The two diesels comprise of a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder and a 3.0-litre 6-cylinder unit, both of which have been turbocharged. The smaller unit produces 245 bhp and can return up to 46 mpg, while the larger engine produces a very healthy 340 bhp while returning up to 41.5 mpg. The bigger diesel can sprint from 0-62 mph in just 5.0 seconds, which is very impressive.
The petrol choices are very similar to the diesels, with a 2.0-litre and a 3.0-litre readily available. The smaller unit produces 300 bhp and returns over 37 mpg, while the larger powerplant gives the driver a substantial 367 bhp to play with (0-62 mph takes just 4.8 seconds).
For those who want something faster, there is the Mercedes-AMG CLS 53.
- AGILITY CONTROL suspension with selective damping system
- DYNAMIC SELECT with a choice of driving modes
- EQ Boost starter alternator (CLS450 4MATIC only)
- 19" AMG alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design
- AMG bodystyling – front apron, rear apron and side skirts
- Brake discs – perforated, with ‘Mercedes-Benz’ lettering
- Cruise control and variable speed limiter
- Electrically folding mirrors and dimming rear-view mirror
- MULTIBEAM Intelligent Light System with ULTRA RANGE highbeam
- Privacy glass
- KEYLESS-GO starting function
- Active Brake Assist
- Widescreen (12.3 inch) cockpit display
AMG Line Premium Plus
Standard specification (in addition/replacement to AMG Line):
- 20"AMG alloy wheels (4) – multi-spoke design
- Electric sliding sunroof – electrically-operated sliding glass sunroof, providing additional light and ventilation into the car
- Memory package – four-way lumbar support; fully electric front passenger and driver’s seats; storage of seat, steering wheel and exterior mirror settings
- KEYLESS-GO Comfort package – including hands-free access, automatic powered boot closing and keyless entry 360° camera – four networked cameras in front grille, wing mirror and boot. Information from Active Parking Assist on vehicle contours shown, and rear guidelines included
- Burmester surround sound system – 13 speakers and a 9-channel amplifier with total output of 590 watts
- COMAND Online – Media Interface and touchpad with control wheel and 12.3-inch colour display. Integrated WLAN/Wi-Fi hotspot for onboard access of WLAN/Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Hard disk drive (HDD) navigation with 3D map display.
- Smartphone integration via Android Auto or Apple CarPlay™.¹ Car-to-X communication and Traffic Sign Assist
Test Drive the Mercedes-Benz CLS
There was never any doubt the latest CLS would be a remarkable vehicle. Ultimately, that is because Mercedes-Benz created this segment of vehicle. The fresh design maintains the CLS' contemporary look, while the stunning interior design and innovative technologies that co-exist with it are nothing short of incredible.
Explore the latest CLS offers above. Or, you can contact your nearest Stratstone Mercedes-Benz retailer to arrange a test drive.