Introducing the New Mercedes-Benz GLB
SUVs are very popular choices across the United Kingdom at the moment, what with the sheer number of them we on the roads everyday. Mercedes-Benz have catered for the market well enough, with the GLA , GLC and GLE proving popular in their respective categories.
However, the German giants recognised that there are few options that sit between an MPV and large SUV. That is where the latest GLB comes into play, a stylish and small SUV that offers comfortable seating for seven people. Translated; the GLB represents the best of both worlds.
Unsurprisingly, the versatility of the GLB is not its only forte, because luxurious touches and the latest driver technology can be found throughout the design. Learn more by reading on.
Design and Practicality
Mercedes-Benz describe the GLB as their most versatile compact SUV ever, which is certainly hard to disagree with. The first thing to note is that it is available with seven seats, something that is rarely found in an SUV this size.
Passengers will be pleased to see that there is ample head and leg room, regardless of the row they are sat on. Among the oceans of plush materials and soft-touch surfaces, Mercedes-Benz have incorporated various cubby spaces and storage compartments, which helps to keep the interior tidy.
Those riding in the back will no doubt enjoy the built-in arm rests, cup holders and C-type sockets. Boot space is suitably large, with 500-litres available. This increases to 1,680-litres with the rear seats folded down.
Interior and Technology
Typical of a modern Mercedes-Benz, the interior design and technology is elegant in its execution. The most noticeable feature is the stunning digital Widescreen Cockpit, which combines the traditional media system with the instrument display for seamless menu navigation that is clean and intuitive to use.
Equipment across the range is generous, with the base-level 'Sport' offering 18" alloy wheels, LED High Performance headlamps and aluminium roof rails. Other luxuries include a multi-function sports steering wheel with gearshift paddles and Keyless-Go.
Safety equipment is well-catered for, with features such as Active Braking Assist and Active Spot Assist ensuring the driver has an extra pairs of eyes on the road when they drive. Go up the range and desirable technologies such as Active Parking Assist become available.
Economy and Performance
The GLB is available with a single petrol unit and two diesel engines, all of which provide excellent real-world economy and performance.
The single petrol unit is a turbocharged 1.3-litre that produces 163 bhp and 184 lb/ft. This particular engine is a strong performer regardless of the driving conditions, with a generous spread of torque making for effortless acceleration. Fuel consumption ranges between 38.7 and 40.4 mpg for this unit.
For families that do more mileage on an annual basis, one of the two diesel engines are ideal. Available with either 150 or 190 bhp, these units still provide plenty of usable power, while returning up to an extraordinary 49.6 mpg.
For those who want more potent performance, there is the AMG GLB 35.
Standard specification includes:
- DYNAMIC SELECT with driving modes Eco, Comfort, Sport and Individual
- 18" alloy wheels – 5-spoke design
- EASY-PACK tailgate
- LED High Performance headlamps
- Heated front seats with three settings
- KEYLESS-GO starting function
- Third row of seats for two people and second row rear seats with fore/aft adjustment
- Leather multifunction sports steering wheel
- THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
- 180° reversing camera
- Active Brake Assist, Active Lane Keeping Assist, Speed Limit Assist
- 7-inch digital instrument display
- 7-inch touchscreen media display
Standard specification (in addition to Sport model):
- 19" AMG alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design
- AMG bodystyling – front apron with chrome splitter
- AMG bodystyling – rear apron with diffuser look and trim element in chrome
- AMG bodystyling – door panels in grained black with chrome plated insert
- AMG bodystyling – rear bumper including underride guard in high-gloss chrome
- Brake calipers with ‘Mercedes-Benz’ logo on front
- Privacy glass
- AMG floor mats
- Brushed stainless-steel sports pedals with black
- Rear armrest
AMG Line Premium
Standard specification (in addition/replacement to AMG Line):
- Mirror package – exterior mirrors fold in and out electrically
- Pre-installation for trailer coupling
- KEYLESS-GO Comfort package – providing keyless entry and hands-free access
- Ambient lighting including 64 colours
- Door sill panels with illuminated ‘Mercedes-Benz’ lettering
- Parking package – includes reversing camera 180° view with
- Active Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC, front and rear parking sensors
- MBUX augmented reality for navigation
- 10.25-inch digital instrument digital and touchscreen media display – frameless bonded glass
- Mercedes-Benz advanced sound system (225W)
- Smartphone integration including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Wireless charging
AMG Line Premium Plus
Standard specification (in addition/replacement to AMG Line Premium):
- MULTIBEAM LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist
- Panoramic sunroof
- Electrically adjustable front memory seats including lumbar support
- Driving Assistance package
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Active Braking Assist with congestion emergency braking function and cross-traffic function
- Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
- Active Steering Assist
- Evasive Steering Assist
- PRE-SAFE PLUS
- Traffic Sign Assist
Test drive the Mercedes-Benz GLB SUV
The GLB represents an excellent addition to the catalogue of vehicles Mercedes-Benz have engineered. The contemporary design and latest technologies are typical of the German manufacturer, while the versatile interior and excellent choice of engines ensure the GLB fulfills its remit as a desirable family car.
Take a look at the latest offers above on the GLB. Alternatively, book a test drive at your nearest Stratstone Mercedes-Benz retailer today.