Introducing the new Mercedes-Benz GLB
SUVs are very popular choices across the United Kingdom at the moment, what with the sheer number of them we see on the roads everyday. Mercedes-Benz have catered for the market well enough, with the GLA, GLC and GLE proving popular in their respective categories.
However, the German giants recognised that there are few options that sit between an MPV and large SUV. That is where the latest GLB comes into play, a stylish and small SUV that offers comfortable seating for seven people. Translated; the GLB represents the best of both worlds.
Unsurprisingly, the versatility of the GLB is not its only forte, because luxurious touches and the latest driver technology can be found throughout the design. Learn more by reading on.
Design and Practicality
Mercedes-Benz describe the GLB as their most versatile compact SUV ever, which is certainly hard to disagree with. The first thing to note is that it is available with seven seats, something that is rarely found in an SUV this size.
Passengers will be pleased to see that there is ample head and leg room, regardless of the row they are sat on. Among the oceans of plush materials and soft-touch surfaces, Mercedes-Benz have incorporated various cubby spaces and storage compartments, which helps to keep the interior tidy.
Those riding in the back will no doubt enjoy the built-in arm rests, cup holders and C-type sockets. Boot space is suitably large, with 500 litres available. This increases to 1,680 litres with the rear seats folded down.
Technology and Safety
Typical of a modern Mercedes-Benz, the interior design and technology is elegant in its execution. The most noticeable feature is the stunning digital Widescreen Cockpit, which combines the traditional media system with the instrument display for seamless menu navigation that is clean and intuitive to use.
Equipment across the range is generous, with wheels ranging from 17-inch to 20-inch, depending on the trim, LED High Performance headlamps and the MBUX multimedia system. Other luxuries include a multi-function sports steering wheel, heated front seats and KEYLESS-GO.
Safety equipment is well-catered for, with features such as Active Brake Assist and Active Lane Keeping Assist ensuring the driver has an extra pair of eyes on the road when they drive. Go up the range and the desirable Driver Assistance Package is included.
Engines and Performance
The GLB is available with four petrol and four diesel engines, with the petrol options all coming with electrified mild-hybrid powertrains, all of which provide excellent real-world economy and performance.
The petrol units range in power from 134 to 221bhp, and the diesel engines produce between 114 and 187bhp. These engines are all really strong performers, regardless of the driving conditions, with a generous spread of torque making for effortless acceleration.
For families that do more mileage on an annual basis, one of the diesel engines are ideal. The GLB 200 d and GLB 200 d 4MATIC both utilise the same 2.0-litre diesel engine, with 148bhp, but as the name suggests one model features the excellent 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. These units provide plenty of usable power, while returning up to around 46mpg.
For those who want more potent performance, there is the AMG GLB 35 4MATIC with an impressive 302bhp and a 0 to 62mph time of 5.2 seconds.
- 18" alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke, aerodynamically optimised, painted black
with a high-sheen finish
- LED High Performance headlamps
- Mirror package
- Progressive bodystyling
- Roof rails – aluminium
- Radiator grille – with central Mercedes star and four individual louvres
- 10.25-inch digital instrument display and touchscreen media display
- DAB digital radio tuner
- Hard-disk navigation
- “Hey Mercedes” voice activation
- MBUX multimedia system
- Speed Limit Assist
- Parking package – with reversing camera
- GUARD 360° vehicle protection
AMG Line Executive
Key features in addition/replacement to Sport Executive:
- 19"AMG alloy wheels – 5-twin-spoke design, aerodynamically optimised,
painted tantalite grey with a high-sheen finish
- AMG bodystyling
- KEYLESS-GO Comfort package
- Privacy glass
- Sports brake system
- Ambient lighting – 64 colour
- AMG floor mats
- AMG sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with black
- Sports seats with height-adjustable head restraints
- Steering wheel – multifunction sports steering wheel in
- THERMATIC automatic climate control
- Wireless charging
- EASY-PACK tailgate
AMG Line Premium
Key features in addition/replacement to AMG Line Executive:
- Door sills with ‘Mercedes-Benz’ lettering, illuminated and with exchangeable cover
- THERMOTRONIC luxury automatic climate control, two-zone, with display
- Blind Spot Assist
- MBUX augmented reality for navigation
- Mercedes-Benz advanced sound system
AMG Line Premium Plus
Key features in addition/replacement to AMG Line Premium:
20"AMG alloy wheels – multi-spoke design, aerodynamically optimised, painted black witha high-sheen finish
- MULTIBEAM LED headlamps with Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus
- Panoramic sunroof
- Roof rails – polished aluminium
- Memory package – electrically adjustable front memory seats with lumbar support
- Braking system with larger brake discs on the front axle (GLB 220 d 4MATIC only)
- Driving Assistance package (GLB 220 d 4MATIC only)
- Parking package with 360° camera
- Traffic Sign Assist
- Carbon-structure trim
- ARTICO man-made leather/MICROCUT microfibre – black
Enquire about the Mercedes-Benz GLB
The GLB represents an excellent addition to the catalogue of vehicles Mercedes-Benz have engineered.
The contemporary design and latest technologies are typical of the German manufacturer, while the versatile interior and excellent choice of engines ensure the GLB fulfils its remit as a desirable family car.
Contact your nearest Stratstone Mercedes-Benz retailer to learn more about the GLB.