Porsche Classic Restoration Project 2016
29th Jul 2016
Using all of their engineering and mechanical skill, as well as their Porsche expertise, the Porsche Centres were able to fully restore both an ultra-rare 1981 924 Carerra GT and a 1986 924S in time for the 2016 edition of the Silverstone Classic car show to be exhibited as part of the official Porsche GB display.
Porsche Centre Bolton: 1981 924 Carrera GT
Despite having covered only 60,354 miles when the Centre purchased it for £12,000, this 924 Carrera GT was in a dreadful state of repair when discovered, and had not been used for 20 years.
The complexity, difficulties and extensive nature of this restoration was a real attraction for the team. However, it wasn’t until the stripping started that the true extent of the work required was shown.
Although the interior was in reasonably good condition, it had been partially removed by the previous owner and there were some parts that required specialist repairs to get them to the desired standard.
Road and Race Restorations were drafted in to help with the body work. The wings, doors, bonnet and tailgate were all removed giving full access to the interior of the shell for further extensive body stripping and there was plenty more work to do after that.
Porsche 924 Restoration Process
- Chassis plate was checked to ensure it was correct for the vehicle as per all the relevant documentation
- Car electrophoretically dipped to remove all paint and expose any corrosion
- Coating and treating the body ready to check over and highlight any imperfections and seam sealed
- Shell primed, painted and ready for the rebuild, front hub assembly stripped down and bead blasted, then prime coated and painted
- Rear subframe stripped and sent to Perfect Powder Coat of Bolton to be bead blasted, powder coated and then rebuilt with new bearings and bushes fitted
- Heat shields and sound deadening were then fitted to the engine bay along with new reflective heat resistant proofing
- Brake master cylinder and brake servo fitted
- Rebuilt engine installed with steering rack and lower arms fitted and ancillaries fitted along with alternator and intercooler
- Wiring loom added with new taping and conduit fitting whilst engine fully installed in the bay
- Refurbished wheels re-attached
Porsche Centre Wilmslow: 1986 924S Coupe
This particular car had 14 documented previous owners, and it really was starting to show its age.
It was brought into the workshop at Porsche Centre Wilmslow for a full inspection and assessment, finally being purchased despite needing a full body and mechanical overhaul.
The vehicle shell was prepared to be sent to Road and Race Restorations, while the separation of the major mechanical components began at the centre.
Like at Porsche Centre Bolton, there was plenty of work left to do once the car had been stripped to fully restore it to almost factory-fresh condition.
Porsche 924S Restoration Process
- Strip the shell
- Transport to Road and Race Restorations where the bodywork had a complete overhaul and any damage rectified
- Body was primed and painted to the original colour of the car
- Rear axle was installed
- Reconditioned suspension and brakes
- Engine rebuilt and fixed back into the engine bay
- Finishing trims installed
Our Porsche Centres showcased their knowledge, skill sets and ingenuity to turn cars that were essentially a rolling shell into first class examples of classic transaxle Porsche sports cars.
As part of the project they were asked to retain the original specification where possible, using initiative and resourcefulness to ensure the most cost effective restoration possible.
Both Porsche Centre Bolton and Porsche Centre Wilmslow are able to supply and fit genuine Porsche parts to your beloved Porsche Sportscar.
Servicing and Maintenance
Service your Porsche at one of our Centres with a Porsche trained Technician